There are several situations where you can obtain relief and strengthen yourself by seeking psychological help
You can benefit from seeing a Psychologist if you suffer from heightened anxiety. Some of the signs of anxiety include:
- Feeling on edge the majority of the time
- Constantly worrying
- Feeling irritable
- Feeling tense and nervous
- Experiencing difficulty relaxing.
You can benefit from seeing a Psychologist if you suspect that you are depressed. Some of the signs of depression might include:
- Sleep disturbance
- Feeling tired and lacking in energy
- Poor concentration and difficulty thinking
- Feeling sad, down or miserable for the majority of the time.
You can benefit from seeing a Psychologist if you have noticed that you cannot control your anger and aggressive behaviour. Signs include aggressive behaviour that results in negative consequences for:
- Your partner
- Your career and financial matters
- Your legal situation (leading to problems with the law).
It is helpful to talk to a Psychologist if you drink, take drugs and / or gamble frequently and to a degree that people around you notice and you feel that you let them down, making you feel ashamed and embarrassed. Some signs might include:
- Arguments with your partner have increased as a result of this behaviour
- You are not able to stop a drinking session once you have started
- You keep drinking and taking drugs despite negative consequences
- You use alcohol or drugs to change the way you feel (e.g. to numb your pain, or to feel less anxious in social situations)
- Your children feel embarrassed when you come to their Saturday sporting events and you are hungover (e.g. you look horrible and your speech is slurred)
- Your partner appears to have lost interest in you, or you have lost interest in your partner and so you spend more time at the pub or using illicit substances
- You minimise the significance of the situation by saying, ‘It’s not a big deal, I can stop whenever I want, I just like doing it,’ but you never actually stop
- You lie, steal, hide, feel guilty and embarrassed and seem not to be able to control these behaviours.
- It is helpful to talk to a Psychologist if your relationships have deteriorated. We can help you to find a way to restore and improve your relationships. Signs of problems may include:
- Your relationships with your kids or partner are not relaxed or enjoyable
- When you look back at your relationships you cannot remember when you felt safe, at peace and happy with each other’s company
- Your relationships are so strained that you feel it would be easier to run away rather than solve these problems.
These are just some of the situations where a Psychologist can help you to overcome these difficulties and find a way to feel in control of your behavior.
We can help you learn how to implement an appropriate self-care plan and master effective strategies and techniques to help you to deal with adversities in your life efficiently.
With our help you can learn to:
- Identify and address self-defeating thoughts and unhelpful thinking patterns
- Understand and check unhelpful assumptions
- Identify and put a stop to self-sabotage
- Build healthy boundaries
- Develop your inner resilience
- Master effective coping strategies
- Improve your relationships
- Understand and better control difficult and impulsive behaviours
- Avoid overreliance on drugs and alcohol (or any other substance) to get through tough times
- Manage your stress more often and more effectively
- Understand different factors impacting on your physical and mental state and emotional wellbeing
- Resolve conflicts and find a way to solve problems without them escalating
- Improve communication with others
- Improve the quality of your relationships.
We encourage you to find out more about our services. We welcome any questions.
Any questions related to psychotherapy, counselling, and psychology services are welcomed. We understand that it is not always clear how psychological services can help you to overcome difficulties in your life.
Feel free to call us and discover how we can help. Our purpose is to help you to achieve your therapeutic and life goals, to improve the quality of your life and to help you to build strong relationships in your life.